Top

 Overview


MACC



Farmer Profile

Joseph Carroll is farming in Ballyheigue, Co. Kerry and is milking 80 cows on 26 hectares. The Carbon Footprint for his dairy enterprise is 0.94 kgCO2e/kg fat & protein corrected (FPCM) .

josephcarroll.png

After completing his SDAS audit in March 2019, Joseph received his SDAS certification from Bord Bia which benchmarked his farm performance under the following headings slurry management, nitrogen usage, grazing season, energy efficiency & EBI. As can be seen from the graph above – Joseph scored above average in relation to 5 key performance indicators shown. In relation to slurry management Joseph scored 8.9 out of 10. Joseph spreads 60% of the slurry in the spring with the remaining 40% spread after the 1st cut of silage. All slurry is spread using LESS (Low Emission Slurry Spreading). The average grazing season on his farm is 272 days which scored 6.8 out of 10. The EBI for the herd is €151 which equates to a score of 8.4 out of 10. There are several practical steps that farmers can take to optimise

josephcarrollchart.png

their performance while at the same time helping to boost profitability. An example of one area where there is an opportunity to reduce the carbon footprint further is to replace CAN fertiliser with protected urea.


Positive Steps ICOS